Thursday 11 July 2013

Another side of pop!

This blog collects short videos I’ve recorded using the lyrics from well-known pop songs. The videos are not meant to be a self-indulgent display of any acting abilities I may have. I'm not an actor. I've never had any training of any sort. I did lots of theatre at school and university, but that’s it. I've recorded the videos for fun and because I like the idea of seeing something that we're all familiar with from a different angle.

Pop songs are often dismissed as throw-away in terms of lyrical content, and I wanted to bring new meaning to them, or at least present them in an alternative way. I'm not interested in doing "credible". It wouldn't cross my mind to do a Nirvana, Bob Dylan or Oasis song (to the relief of those performers and their fans, I'm sure). It’s not art. It’s pop!

So far all the videos I've done we're originally sung by women. And the songs I've chosen rather camp affairs. Looking at my list of possible ideas for other videos, I can see a definite pattern emerging. Does that make me a stereotypical gay man? How one hates to see one's individuality is in fact a stereotype. Meh. The fact of the matter is that the songs lent themselves to the concept of what I want to do with PopMonologues. And camp work for little drama queen moments, which is how one could easily define these videos.

All the videos have been recorded in single takes using my iPad, so excuse the poor sound quality and lighting.

Although it somehow feels wrong to deliver these songs without their tunes, I had a lot of fun planning the setup and recording them. I hope you like them. All feedback welcome!


PopMonologues

No comments:

Post a Comment